Home Page Visit us on Facebook      906.285.4446      BessemerMI.Chamber@yahoo.com

Start a Business in Bessemer

We know that starting a business in a new area can be challenging. One of your first stops in doing business in Michigan is the State's Business One Stop website. This invaluable resourse puts multiple government agencies at your fingertips. Michigan is committed to helping startup companies meet with success. The state provides numerous resources, from capital funding and business mentoring to locating incubators and lab space.

Below you will find additional resources to help you get started.

Prepare a Business Plan
Developing a detailed business plan is an essential tool for a new business owner. Not only will a business plan provide direction, but it will help facilitate the process of building capitol through both traditional bank financing and investors. Click here for some help from the Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center (MI-SBTDC) in starting your business plan. You can also visit the Gogebic-Ontonagon Community Action Agency website for additional information.

Determine Your Business Structure
It’s always best to consult a professional when making decisions with regard to your legal structure. Our membership base contains reputable attorneys and tax consultants to assist you with this process. Click here for a list of resources in this area.

Decide on a Location
Whether you’re looking for existing office space or new land to develop, Bessemer has something to offer you. One of our commercial real estate agents or developers can assist you with selecting a site, negotiating a lease or purchasing property.

Click here for a list of resources to help you find the perfect location for your business or contact our City Manager at florafox.com for available city-owned property.

Secure Financing for Your Business
There are several funding options for you to consider in order to get financing. You can started by searching for local banks and connecting with the Small Business Administration.

Understand Zoning Requirements
Before finalizing your lease or purchase agreement, you will need to verify that your intended use is permitted in that zoning district. You can view the City's Zoning Ordinance here or contact our City Manager at 906-663-4311.

Get Informed
Additional permits, licenses or forms may be required for you to start your business.

Building and sign permits

A permit may be required if you plan to remodel, demolish or build a new structure. Please view our zoning ordinance here or contact the City Manager at 906-663-4311.

Federal Employer Identification

You must register for an EIN, also known as a Federal Income Tax Identification Number. You can obtain an EIN by visiting the IRS website here.

Health permits

If you prepare and sell food, you will need to contact the Boone County Health Department by visiting their website or calling them at 906-667-0200.

Alcoholic beverage license

If you plan to sell alcoholic beverages or tobacco, you will need to get a license. Please visit the Michigan Liquor Control Commission website or call them at (517) 373-1820.

United States Customs permit

If your business will involve the import or export of products from another country, you may need to obtain a permit. Please visit the United States Customs’ website or contact them at (877) 227-5511.

Business insurance

You are required to carry both Workers’ Compensation and general liability insurance. Contact a local insurance agency to discuss your options.